Saturday, September 09, 2006

Kathy Paxton, where are you?

Happy 50th Birthday, Kathy. Today is her birthday and I have no idea where she is. Kathy lived down the street from me growing up in a suburb of New Orleans. We were best friends until I moved to a different neighborhood when I was ten and a half. We stayed in touch after that but it wasn't the same as just walking down the street to her house. I haven't seen her in over thirty years.

If I think real hard I can put myself in her house, in her backyard, making whirlpools in her above-ground swimming pool. I remember her toy chest in her room, her older sister Donna, her mom, Miss Phyllis (we called all our friends parents Miss whatever, even though they were really Mrs.), her beautiful collie dog, Lady, her grandpa Pa-Pa. I can't remember her dad's name but I can picture him in my mind's eye. We took dance lessons together at Bayhi's School of Dance. With our other friend Kerry across the street we were the three Ks of the neighborhood.

Kathy, I miss you and I wish you a happy 50th Birthday!

No comments: