Sunday, May 24, 2009

15 Books: A Meme

I received this on Facebook. It was hard to narrow the list to fifteen but here they are:

Instructions: Don't take too long to think about it. Fifteen books you've read that will always stick with you. First fifteen you can recall in no more than 15 minutes. Tag 15 friends, including me.

  1. The Bible (I became a different person after I started reading the Bible when I was sixteen yrs. old)
  2. How Reading Changed My Life by Anna Quindlen (Reading this book a few years ago made me realize that I had lost a part of my identity by losing my childhood insatiable appetite for reading and changing it to thinking of reading as something to be done only for a specific purpose. Reading is part of who I am as a person, and I had lost part of myself by denying it. )
  3. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (IMHO quite possibly the best book ever written. As many times as I read it I always come away a better person for having read it again.)
  4. A Room of One's Own by Virginia Wolfe (Helped me realize the importance of setting aside a space (and time) for writing.) Still working on that one.
  5. Appointment in Jerusalem by Derek Prince (Amazing (true) story of a woman's journey of faith.
  6. Jane Eyre Charlotte Bronte (Another one that I never get tired of rereading.)
  7. Grammatical Man: Information, Entropy, Language, Life by Jeremy Campbell (Great book on information theory and language, the main topic of my Ph.D. dissertation.)
  8. John Adams by David Mccullough (My favorite biography)
  9. The God Who is There by Francis Schaeffer (Schaeffer was a prophetic voice to his generation.)
  10. Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (The best conspiracy theory novel I've read. I love The Name of the Rose too, but had to narrow the list to 15.)
  11. The Way of Holiness by Andrew Murray (My favorite devotional book by my favorite devotional author.)
  12. Thank You Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse (Really any Jeeves book. Jeeves and Bertie Wooster are my two favorite fictional characters. I can't read Wodehouse without cracking up. He makes me smile.)
  13. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkein ( I can get lost in his prose.)
  14. Planet Narnia: The Seven Heavens in the Imagination of C.S. Lewis by Michael Ward (Ward discovers a hidden structure in the Lewis' Narnia novels based on the 7 planets of medieval cosmology. Incredibly well written and convincing.)
  15. Kite Runner by Khaled
    Hosseini (This book put a human face on the struggle in Afghanistan for me.)

No comments: