Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Too Close to Home

I got a voice mail from a friend last night that started with, "I have some really bad news". Then she told me how she had seen on the news that an neighbor of ours from a previous neighborhood had been killed and his wife had been arrested for his murder.

This was the kind of information that is almost impossible for my brain to process. These were the parents of my son's first "best friend". We haven't seen them since we moved from the neighborhood seven years ago, but my heart is so grieved for them, especially for the two children, a boy, aged 14 and a girl, 13.

It just seems like there's so much bad news that we hear about all the time that it's easy to get desensitized to it. It doesn't really sink in that these are "real" people that these terrible things are happening to. Or it does sink in but I don't know how to process the information. You know, sometimes we'll be watching a TV show like "Lost" with the family. It's a time to relax and "escape reality". Then the news comes on and "reality" bombards.

But these are people I know. And I want to do something. I know that I can pray for them and I am. Maybe I should have made more of an effort to stay in touch with them. I'm looking for a way we can help the kids by letting them know that we care about them and want to help. I'm praying for an open door to contact them.

No comments: