Saturday, July 28, 2007

Thursday Next

I just picked up the new Jasper Fforde book First among Sequels, A Thursday Next Novel. Looking forward to reading it in bed tonight. I'm a big fan of the imaginative world that Jasper Fforde creates, where people jump in and out of classic books.

Fforde's novels remind me of a C.S. Lewis anecdote I read recently, by E. R. Eddison:

...a writer's task, I maintained, was to lay bare the human heart, and this could not be done if he were continually taking refuge in the spinning of fanciful webs. Lewis retorted with a theory that, since the creator had seen fit to build a universe and set it in motion, it was the duty of the human artist to create as lavishly as possible in turn. The romancer, who invents a whole world, is worshipping God more effectively than the mere realist who analyses that which lies about him.

No comments: