Saturday, March 15, 2008

Ides of March

Today, March 15, is the anniversary of Julius' Caesar's assasination. Here is an excerpt from an interesting blog post about Caesar:

Read the entire post here.

Caesar was a man of talent made great by the exceptional times he lived in. As Machiavelli said, “prowess” must also have “opportunity” or it cannot make itself felt. And so felt and remembered Caesar would be. As Christian Meier put it, "The way in which Caesar played this game--risking his very existence and then raising the stakes, seeking out immense opportunities, finding them and savoring them--affords an absorbing spectacle." I highly recommend on some rainy day you pickup a copy of Caesar's commentaries and absorb the spectacle.

Remembering Caesar on the Ides of March.

Hail Caesar!


I'll put it my to-read list!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought about this several times today. And yet, the FIRST I read or heard anything (other than my own inner voice) was here on your blog.

Hail Ceasar indeed.

I hope you share (here) some of the things you learn from Ceasar's commentaries.