Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Happy Purim

Today is the Jewsish Feast of Purim. Actually, it ended at sundown, since all Jewish feasts run from sundown to sundown, so it started yesterday. That is unless you live in Israel, when, I believe, it's celebrated a day earlier. Ok, so what is Purim and why should anyone who's not Jewish (like me) care about it?

First of all, what is Purim? Purim is the feast instituted in the book of Esther which commemmorates the thwarting of an evil plot to annihilate all Jews in the Persian Empire. Queen Esther was the instrument God used to turn the evil plan of destruction into blessing and victory for the Jewish people. It was Esther's courage and willingness to risk her life for the sake of her people that saved them all.
Read the book of Esther to find out more about this great heroine of the faith.


Here's a fun site where you can learn more about Purim. (Be prepared for some rather obnoxious music to pop up.)

www.torahtots.com

3 comments:

Donna said...

Hey Karie - I checked your source code. For some reason, Blogger is stripping out some of the > brackets -- that's why the link isn't live. You may need to go into your control panel to see what's up with that.

Karie said...

I tried adding back the > brackets but it didn't help. I need time... to check the problem. Problem is when I have a bit of time I'd rather spend it writing than dealing with code.

Karie said...

Thanks Marilyn! I was so concerned about my geek status that I looked more closely at the source and figured out how to fix it.