Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Hasidic Reggae?

Have you heard about Matisyahu, () the Hasidic Reggae musician? I probably wouldn't have heard of him either, had it not been for my fourteen-year old son who is a fan:

Here is a line from one of his songs:
"Torah food for my brain let it rain til I drown, Thunder! Let the blessings come down!"

Matisyahu's new album "Youth" was released yesterday. I've listened to some of his songs, and while I can't say I really enjoy the style, (to my untrained ears it sounds like a mixture of punk and reggae) I love some of the lyrics. He's so God-oriented and worshipful.

I've also recently been introduced to another of my son's favorite bands: The Dropkick Murphy's. They seem to me to be a mixture of Irish folk (bagpipes and ballads) and punk. We were listening to one of their CD's (The Warrior's Code) in the car the other day and one of the songs absolutely brought tears to my eyes. It was a ballad about a chance happening upon the gravesite of a young nineteen year old Irish boy who died in WWI in 1916.

It's so much fun being introduced to a whole new era of music. I'm glad my son wants to share his music with me. Hasidic Reggae and Irish folk punk, what will they think of next?

2 comments:

Karie said...

Hi Jenissa,
Did you go to the free concert at Tower Records in Northridge? Chuck took Eric and they stood in line for three hours, but they did get to see him and they both enjoyed it.

Karie said...

The hat(acutally it's a tam) and bow tie were part of the official St. Edwards the Confessor parochial school. You can't see it but the skirt and shoes completed the cool? outfit. The skirt was plaid and the shoes were saddle shoes. Yes, I was stylin!

Mimi, I enyoyed looking at your blog; thanks for the comment.