Friday, December 14, 2007

History of Blogging?

I wrote here about the art of commonplacing and how it has been compared to modern-day blogging. Another art which has been compared to blogging is the art of letter writing.

The Roman Orator Cicero had the following to say about his letter-writing habits:
(ht: ricoblog)

I have no doubt that my daily letter must bore you, especially as I have no fresh news, nor can I find an excuse for a letter. If I should employ special messengers to convey my chatter to you without reason, I should be a fool but I cannot refrain from entrusting letters to folk who are bound for Rome, especially when they are members of my household. Beleive me, too, when I seem to talk with you, I have some little relief from sorrow, and, when, I read a letter from you, far greater relief. (Cicero, Att 8.14.1, quoted by Dormeyer in Porter, Pauline Canon, 60)


Sometimes just the act of writing, without even having much to say, can provide relief. Other times not.

And, speaking of blogging, here is How Blogs are Born.
(ht: The Point Blog)

No comments: