Friday, December 21, 2007

The Library

I was doing some Christmas shopping at Barnes and Noble's Bookstore and I came across this book. I wanted to buy it, but Aimee really is past the picture book stage. Really, I wanted it for myself. I love the illustrations: Books stacked everywhere, nose in a book while vacuuming, books, books and more books.

So I had some self-discipline and I didn't buy it. But I googled the author and illustrator and found out that they are a husband and wife team. And that she has some good advice for aspiring writers which I've copied below. I especially appreciate the "Study Latin" tip.


SARAH STEWART’S RULES FOR ASPIRING WRITERS

1. Study Latin.
2. Read the great poetry written in your native language.
3. Find a quiet place and go there every day.
4. If there’s no quiet place where you live, find that place within you for a few minutes each day.
5. Put your ambition into writing, never into making money

No comments: