Friday, March 02, 2007

Coffee Spoons

I haven't posted in a while. I have a list of all kinds of posting ideas but haven't had the time or energy to write them up. One thing I'm very happy about is that I did our taxes early this year. I don't think I've ever got them in this early. Last year I had to file an extension and barely got them done before the extension ran out, so this is a great accomplishment for me.

I e-filed with Turbo Tax on Feb. 19! I checked our account today and both the federal and state refunds are posted. Yeah!

On another note, I came across a news article about Hilary Clinton's thesis from Wellsley which had been hidden from public view until recently. Okay, so I'm not going to comment on this except to say, I wonder what she's hiding? Here's the article from MSN: Reading Hillary Rodham's hidden thesis

But I was intrigued by the title of the thesis: 'There Is Only the Fight...’: An Analysis of the Alinsky Model . "There is only the fight" is a quote from T.S. Eliot's East Coker from Four Quartets.Here is a portion of the poem:

So here I am..
Trying to use words, and every attempt
Is a wholly new start, and a different kind of failure
Because one has only learnt to get the better of words
For the thing one no longer has to say, or the way in which
One is no longer disposed to say it.
And so each venture
Is a new beginning, a raid on the inarticulate,
With shabby equipment always deteriorating
In the general mess of imprecision of feeling,
Undisciplined squads of emotion.
And what there is to conquer
By strength and submission, has already been discovered
Once or twice, or several times, by men whom one cannot hope
To emulate - but there is no competition -
There is only the fight to recover what has been lost
And found and lost again and again: and now, under conditions
That seem unpropitious.
But perhaps neither gain nor loss.
For us, there is only the trying. The rest is not our business.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hooooooohhaaaaaaaaaaaaa