Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Where have all the heroes gone? They're LOST!

This is Wednesday and tonight a new episode of Lost will be aired. Lost and Gilmore Girls are the only two TV shows that I try to watch regularly (well okay in the interest of full disclosure, I also try to keep up with Survivor but I think it’s more out of habit than any particular thrill with the show. We’re probably the only family in the country that doesn’t watch American Idol.) But Lost is really my favorite.

At least it has been. Last season I started getting frustrated with the slow-moving story line. It seemed like you would watch the show for a whole hour and barely anything would happen. I was just thinking while watching, “get on with it already”. So this season has been much more exciting as far as the plot moving along. We’re getting some more information about “the others” and as implausible as it all seems it at least is moving forward.

This season, though, I have another complaint. My complaint is that the characters are becoming completely unlikable. The two characters who had (in my opinion) the most heroic and selfless characteristics have turned into self-serving jerks. I was disappointed with Jack when he operated on the “other leader” (okay, I don’t remember his name). But in the middle of the operation Jack deliberately cut some kind of blood vessel and threatened to let him bleed to death unless his demands were met. Now, I know you could argue that “the ends justified the means” and that he was bargaining for the life of his friends. But, what came to my mind was the Hippocratic Oath: Do no harm. Didn’t he swear an oath as an MD that he would never deliberately harm a patient? Is there any circumstance that would make it okay for an MD to threaten to murder a patient in the middle of an operation. Sure it’s just TV, but if I’m going to relate to these characters, I want to see at least some of them live up to standards of decency.

Then last week, John Locke, the guy who was healed when he crashed on the island from paralysis of his legs, went ahead and blew up the submarine that was going to take Jack off the island and back to civilization. (Yes, I know, it’s just a story and what would happen to Jack’s part if he left the island? That is not my problem) But, it was a very self-serving and selfish action to blow up the means of rescue for all those stranded, lost victims of the airplane crash. I expected more from John Locke. So that is why I’m annoyed with Lost this season. But I’m still looking forward to watching the new episode tonight.

1 comment:

Donna said...

I have one word for you: "Heroes."