Friday, January 06, 2006

Happy King's Day

Today, January 6, is King's Day. It's the day that tradition says the kings (otherwise known as the wise men) arrived to bring presents to the baby Jesus.
Where I grew up in New Orleans we would celebrate this day with a king cake. Growing up, king cake was one of my favorite kinds of cake. I looked forward to this time of the year when king cakes would be sold at the local bakery. It's an oval shaped bread-like cake, hollow in the middle. Each piece is marked by different colored sugar topping. The most fun thing about the king cake is the fact that hidden inside one of the pieces is a tiny plastic baby or a pecan. The person who bites into the baby or discovers it in their piece is the "king" and is supposed to provide the next king cake. I miss king cakes.

4 comments:

Karie said...

I know I said my next post would be on Hanukkah but today is king's day and I wanted to post about it. The Hanukkah post is coming...

Anonymous said...

Hey again! Jan 6 was the day my mom and her family would celebrate Christmas! They were Serbian Orthodox and evidently, that was the traditional Christmas Day for their faith. Maybe it ties into the King Day thing. Did you ever get the "baby"?

--Nance

Karie said...

Hi Nancy, So nice to hear from you this way. Thanks for all the nice things you posted. I loved your picture too, but who are all those grownup looking, tall, good-looking people with you and Mike?
I guess I haven't figured out the picture posting option because I don't see the picture when I click on it either but it shows up as posted when I check it. I'll have to play with it some more.

BTW, Woobie is one of the puppies our Jack Russell terrier had. Eric named her.
Oh yes, and I did get the baby several times. You have to be careful not to chip your tooth when you bite into it.

I also found a recipe in one of my New Orleans cookbooks for king cake. I wanted to try it yesterday but didn't have the time to bake it with school and gymnastics. You have to let the dough rise for 3 hours. Maybe I'll have time this week to try it.

Karie

Anonymous said...

Wow--hey--you wrote me back! Sorry it took me so long to see this and get back to you--it was a fluke I even saw it. Charlie Hamilton told me our cd was being advertised on some WalMart site and so I typed in my name for a search to see if I could find it and I found this! Anyways, what's going on???

Yes, I know what you mean about the photo--I am now officially the shortest "kid" in the family. They even make fun of me. Nice. Don't worry--it will happen to you too.

Talk to ya later. Love ya