Monday, January 09, 2006

It's A Boy!

I heard those three life-changing words exactly fourteen years ago today. There I was in the hospital after thirty-some hours of labor. It was 5:30 am on January 9, 1992. I had just delivered our first-born son.

The moment they placed him in my arms and I looked into his eyes something miraculous happened. I don't really have the earthly words to describe what transpired but I have to say it was the greatest moment of my life. I looked into that little face with those beautiful eyes and long, luscious lashes and there was a recognition, a transference and an awakening that took place in me. I saw reflected in that face a glimpse of my dearly departed mother, relatives from past generations. I saw the past and the future connected there in that tiny red face. Oh it's you.

I thank God for that moment and for all the fourteen years of moments since then since I became a mother. That tiny little body has been replaced by that of a handsome, blue-eyed, blonde haired youth. I look at pictures of that little baby and joke with my teen-aged son, "Who are you and what have you done with this little baby boy?"

Through the ups and downs of being a Mom, there is nothing else I would rather be and no-one else I would rather be Mom to than this wonderful son that God gave Chuck and me to raise in the nurture and admonition of the Lord fourteen years ago today.

Happy Birthday Eric!

No comments: