Friday, April 07, 2006

Who is Everyman?

This morning I sat down to start reading a book I checked out from the library. Actually, I have about 10 books that I'm in various stages of reading, but since this one has already been renewed once and must be returned soon, I wanted to start on it. It's The Life of Samuel Johnson by James Boswell. I've read that it's the best biography ever written. (Have to see about that.) I opened the book and on the page next to the title page is this quote, not pertaining to Boswell or Johnson but to edition of the book: Everyman's Library.

The quote goes like this:
"Everyman, I will go with thee, and be thy guide, in thy most need to go by thy side."

The quote has no attribution, so I didn't know where it was from or who said it. Because I'm all into Google (the best thing since sliced bread, to my mind.) I had to stop and find out where the quote came from; and my friend Google did not disappoint me. "Inquiring minds want to know."


From: The Medieval Sourcebook
"Everyman is late-15th-century English morality play. Called by Death, Everyman can persuade none of his friends - Beauty, Kindred, Worldly Goods - to go with him, except Good Deeds."

It's written by that very prolific author, Anonymous. These words are spoken by the character in the play named Knowledge, who agrees to accompany Everyman to the judgment seat where he has been summoned and guide him along the way. Okay, so now I can get back to Boswell and Johnson, now accompanied by my good friend, Knowledge.

Except that I now have spent my reading time on Googling and Blogging, oh well.

No comments: