Friday, January 05, 2007

Liber Delectatio Animae

Don't you hate it when people write Latin quotes without translating them? I could write a whole post on that subject but it's not what I'm writing today. In fact I think I'll leave the whole translation for another post because I have more to say about it.
I've attempted to write a list of the books I read in 2006. I don't know if I've got them all but all the ones that I noted in my journal or that I remember are here. They're in no particular order except sort of chronological, except I started with the ones I read recently and then I went back to my journal from the beginning of the year and started from the beginning. Anyway, it's an interesting (to me anyway) mix of biographies, classics, some science, children's books and lots of books about books. I count about eighty. I tried to only put books that I actually finished but quite a few are books that I've read before and reread this year. I'm working on another list of books I started and didn't finish.

Books read in 2006:
Jane Austen, A Life by Claire Tomalin
Emily Bronte by Winifred Gerin
Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte
The Genizah at the House of Shepher by Tamar Yellin
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
The Poe Shadow by Matthew Pearl
Rebecca by Daphne DuMarier
Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
How Proust Can Change Your Life by Alain De Botton
The Outside World by Tova Mirvis
Isaac Newton by James Gleick
Such a Strange Lady (bio of Dorothy Sayers) by Janet Hitchman
Mark Twain Mysteries by Edith Skom
Parnassus on Wheels by Christopher Morley
Old Books Rare Friends by Leona Rostenberg and Stein
Bibliomania, A Tale by Gustave Flaubert
As Nature Made Him by John Colapinto
The Crucible by Arthur Miller
Greco-Persian Wars by Peter Green
The Professor by Charlotte Bronte
Amo, Amas, Amat and all That by Eugene Ehrlich
Life of Charlotte Bronte by Elizabeth Gaskell
Mathematics, Is God Silent? James Nickel
The Lighthouse by P.D. James
Physics and Philosophy by Werner Heisenbert
QED The Strange Theory of Light and Matter by Richard Feynman
The Pianist by Wladyslaw Szpilman
National Velvet by Enid Bagnold
Where Books Fall Open by Bascove
The Reading Group by Elizabeth Noble
Rereadings by Anne Fadiman
Ex Libris by Anne Fadiman
The Gift of Friendship, C.S. Lewis and J.R. Tolkein by Colin Durziel
On Literature by Umberto Eco
Negotiating with the Dead –A Writer on Writing by Margaret Atwood
Mimesis by Auerbach
The Wind in the Door by Madeleine L’Engle
Reading in Bed by Steven Gilbar
The Luck of Nineveh by Arnold C. Brackman
The Right to Heresy, Castillio against Calvin by Stefan Zweig
Can a Smart Person Believe in God? By Michael Gullen
So Many Books, So Little Time, A Year of Passionate Reading by Sara Nelson
Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss
A Man of My Words by Lederer
Who Killed Homer?
The Friendly Jane Austen
A Passion for Books Harold Rabinowitz and Rob Kaplan
Ungodly; the Passions Torments and Murder of Atheist Madalyn MurrayO'Hair by Ted Dracos
T.S. Eliott Selected Essays
Emma by Jane Austen
The Story of English by McCrum, Cram and MacNeil
Borges, A Reader
Labyrinths by Jorge Borges
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
Foucalt’s Pendulum by Umberto Eco
Raising a Reader by Jennie Nash
Sleuthing in the Stacks by Rudolph Altrochi
The Scholar Adventurers Richard Altick
A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L’Engle
Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
The Club Dumas by Arturo Perez-Reverte
I am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe
Bookman’s Promise by John Dunning
Booked to Die by John Dunning
Sign of the Book by John Dunning
The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl
Death’s Autograph by Marianne McDonald
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Out of the Flames by Lawrence and Nancy Goldstone
The Friar and the Cipher by Lawrence and Nancy Goldstone
Warmly Inscribed by Lawrence and Nancy Goldstone
The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler
Accomodating Brocolli in the Cemetary: Or Why Can't Anybody Spell by Vivian Cook
God’s Equation by Amir Aczel
The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger
The Book Thief by Mark Zusak
Taking the Quantum Leap by Fred Wolf

2 comments:

Muley said...

I notice you read "How Proust Can Change Your Life" but no actual Proust novels last year. Had you already read him, or did the book not make its case well enough to inspire you?

Karie said...

I have to say that I'm not very inspired to read any of his works. I liked some his quotes, but his personal life was a mess and his books seem to go into great detail about a lot of nothing. He does have some great quotes on reading and books, which I like to collect. I wrote my favorite quote from the book in my journal, "One must never miss an opportunity of quoting others, which are always more interesting than those one thinks up oneself."