Saturday, June 17, 2006

8th Grade Graduation

My son, Eric, graduated from eighth-grade on Friday. It was a pleasantly nice ceremony, (I was going to say, surprisingly nice but I was pleasantly surprised only because I didn’t know what to expect.) There were approximately 430 or so graduates from all over Southern California. An added bonus was that it took place less than five miles from my house at the new auditorium at College of the Canyons. The last two years of home school my children have been enrolled in California Virtual Academy, (CAVA), which is affiliated with K12.com.

I didn’t realize that there were so many eighth graders enrolled in the school. Since it’s a virtual school we never see all the students together and they are scattered all over the state. Each graduate was asked to provide a brief statement describing their “post-secondary” aspirations. This statement was read as they were presented on stage to receive their diploma. About half-way through the presentation, I found myself wishing that I had been jotting down all the college majors\career choices that were mentioned. It was an interesting lesson in what life choices appeal to the fourteen-year olds. I can’ document this since I didn’t catalog it but the top three choices appeared to be: 1. entertainment; 2. culinary arts 3. forensics. Could this be because of the popularity of cooking shows and CSI type shows?

The keynote speaker was Dr. Thomas Boysen who is the Senior Vice President of K12 inc. He gave an interesting talk on the subject of learning and read the following quote from T. H. White's, "The Once and Future King" which I found very interesting. So interesting that when I got home I googled it so I could have it.

“The best thing for being sad,” replied Merlyn, beginning to puff and blow, “is to learn something. That is the only thing that never fails. You may grow old and trembling in your anatomies, you may lie awake at night listening to the disorder of your veins, you may miss your only love, you may see the world about you devastated by evil lunatics, or know your honour trampled in the sewers of baser minds. There is only one thing for it then — to learn. Learn why the world wags and what wags it. That is the only thing which the mind can never exhaust, never alienate, never be tortured by, never fear or distrust, and never dream of regretting."”

By T.H. White
The Once and Future King


Thus ended Eric’s illustrious homeschool career. He’s been homeschooled since 3rd grade. Next year he’ll be attending the local public high school I’m very confident that this is the right choice for our family. He needs other teachers. I’m confident in his ability to make right choices for friends and activities. Congratulation Eric!

No comments: