Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Waxing Nostalgic?


We're back from our wonderful time at the Lake. We drove back Monday morning from Big Bear in time to get Aimee to gymnastics at noon. (That's another story.) Since I didn't have my camera cable with me at the lake. here is a picture from the deck of the house. It was so relaxing! You can see Chuck and Aimee fishing off the dock down below the house.

Ssturday in our rented Big Bear Cabin we were making sandwiches to take for a picnic lunch on the fishing boat. I realized we didn’t have any plastic sandwich bags, so I looked in the cupboards to find some. There weren’t any, but there was some wax paper in the back of the cupboard. This brought back to my mind memories of the school lunches my mom used to pack for me before the invention of plastic sandwich bags. I wrapped the sandwiches and rolled the top of the wax paper just the way my mom used to do it. I realized that before the invention of “baggies” that was how school lunches were packed, at least in my family. It must have been some time when I was in elementary school that “baggies” came out. I’m calling them baggies because that’s what I remember calling them as a child.

Wow, this also brought back memories of smelly lschool lunch boxes, milk that we used to purchase from the school to drink with our lunches which always made me feel sick to my stomach. Then there was the time when I took a big gulp of sour milk! Maybe those school lunches weren’t such great memories after all. All that and more from a bit of wax paper.

No comments: