Saturday, June 24, 2006

From Big Bear Lake

I’m sitting here on the deck of a beautiful lakefront cabin that we’re renting in Big Bear for the weekend. I thought I’d have a picture or two of the awesome view of the lake from the deck, but I brought the wrong cable to connect the camera to the computer, so you’ll have to take my word for it. I’ll post some pictures when we get home. Right now I’m enjoying the incredible peace and quiet, clean air, pine tree smell and wireless networking right here on the dock outside the cabin. It’s almost too good to be true, pinch me, I must be dreaming. And, you may ask, where are the kids and how is it that they’re so quiet? Well they are off on a grand fishing adventure in the fishing boat Chuck rented. I opted to stay behind because 1. I hate boats; ever since the deep sea fishing trip when I was ten I’ve had to fight seasickness. 2. I’m way overdue for a few hours of alone time to do whatever I want.

I just came back from a leisurely 45 minute or so walk up the street to gaze on the beauties of nature and the way cool cabins on the lakefront. Then I came back, got connected to the wireless network and started blogging.

This is our first vacation in two years? Can it be? I think we just get so caught up in our kids’ activities, like gymnastics, that we forget to take time to sit back and smell the roses, or pine needles in this case. . I’d forgotten how nice Big Bear is. I can’t believe it but it’s actually been about eleven years since we were here last. Eric was three when we sold the vacation cabin we owned and we haven’t been back since. I guess we thought it’s just not the same when you don’t have your own cabin to come to, but this is fantastic!

We got here yesterday around four o’clock, settled in, did some fishing off the dock on the property and then went out to eat at Evergreen’s restaurant. Chuck and I ordered prime rib(the waitress came back to say that they’re out of it, we had to settle for rib-eye instead, too bad), Aimee the kid’s 7 oz. steak and Eric the swordfish special. We ate outside with a beautiful view of the sunset over the lake.

Okay here comes the fishing crew back from their adventure. I don’t see any fish in hand but the day is still young; Chuck rented it for 24 hours so they can go out at dusk and early in the morning. Tonight we’re barbequing steaks on the deck and then hopping in the hot tub. It’s a tough job, but someone’s got to do it, right?

No comments: